Doug’s Deer Delights, Venison Rouladen Recipe
Submitted by Doug Esch
An old German recipe using fresh venison meat to give it a unique flavor! This dish is the perfect addition to your next family potluck and we guarantee everyone will want the recipe! So, grab your venison and put your hunter’s chef hat on because we are about to cook up some tasty venison food!
- Sweet onion
- Sweet pickles
- Take small, 2-3” pieces of deer steak and pound it with a meat hammer.
- Season meat with any of the following, depending on your taste: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, ginger, Lawry’s seasoning etc.
- Cut strips of bacon into 1/2 or 1/3 pieces.
- Slice onion into long strips, ½” wide.
- Slice sweet pickles into long strips.
- Start with placing bacon on prepping area.
- Next, place the seasoned and pounded venison on the bacon.
- Put the onion and pickle in the middle.
- Roll up the meat around the onion and pickle and hold together with the toothpicks.
- Pan sear the rouladen so that the bacon is started to be cooked on both sides.
- 2-3 minutes per side.
- Bake at 350° for 25 min.
- Serve with gourmet mustard spicy or not.